top of page

Unreimbursed Employment Expenses list​

Have you incurred any expenditure related to your Employment that has not been reimbursed by your Employer. Have you travelled to a temporary workplace (spent less than 24 months or, if working somewhere permanently you spend less than 40% of your time there)? This could be travelling to a meeting, an alternative office or training etc. All Travel and Subsistence costs associated with this are generally deductible. You would be able to include a mileage claim/actual travel expenses incurred on your Tax Return. In addition to this, HMRC will allow you to deduct subsistence/food purchased whilst working at a temporary work location. Please note, you cannot deduct the costs of your ordinary commute to your base office. Please find a list of typical examples below of unreimbursed Employment Expenses that are likely deductible.

Car/Vehicle and Mileage

Estimated mileage travelled when working at a temporary place of work: This could be an office/meeting/training location that you spend less than 24 months or 40% of your time at.

Pension Contributions 

If you are paying additional money into a pension scheme that is not included as part of your employment, you may be entitled to tax relief on this. Paying extra into pension schemes can be extra tax efficient when you are a higher rate 

Capital Allowances

You can make a capital allowance claim of good such as Laptops, cars and other large items that are directly related and aid you within your working day. 


Subsistence - Total cost of subsistence/food purchased whilst working at a temporary work location (£):

Use of Home as Office

You can only claim the work from home allowance, if you have to work from home. This could be because your employer doesn't have a physical office. You can either claim £312 per year, alternatively you can estimate the impact working from home has had on your utilities usage.

bottom of page